Who Will Win The 2008 Presidential Election?

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Garbage Filled Beauty - Smoking Bans

Smoking is kind of a sore subject for me because my father passed away at age 42 with lung cancer. So much for it only taking off the worst years of your life as many people think. I actually smoked myself for a few years before that (age 13 to around 16)- I was young and stupid and trying to be "grown-up."


One of my proudest moments was in college; I gave a speech about all of the negative aspects of smoking. I got a standing ovation and several kids told me they were going to quit. Whether or not they stuck with it, I'm not sure but I was happy to have influenced them if only for a little while.


I am so sick of seeing garbage everywhere. When people throw their cigarettes out the window and I just want to chase them down and shove an entire pack down their throats. A little extreme, I know, but it is so disrespectful. It's not bad enough that their smoking is affecting other people's health but they have to make an eye sore for everyone as well.


Pollution is getting bad - I walk outside in the morning, a half hour from 'the city' and it smells great because there is no smell. I get into town and have to turn my air off because of the nasty odors coming in through the vents. Go a little North into Wisconsin and you can tell how great their air is, it makes me jealous. It's almost a pleasure to breathe up there. So... why would you want to purposely inhale these awful poisons? It slowly kills you, makes you smell awful, and leaves nasty trails of butts everywhere.


There is going to be a smoking ban soon in Illinois and I can't wait. NBC reported that second hand smoke takes the lives of 2,900 people just in Illinois alone, the 19th state to pass this type of ban. Nobody will be allowed to smoke in bars. I will be able to go to my boyfriend's pool meets without having to go outside every hour because my eyes are burning. No one will be allowed to smoke in restaurants. I will be able to taste my food. No one will be able to smoke in public workplaces either. Smokers will have to be 15 feet away, so others can walk in freely without inhaling smoke. No more sidewalk cracks filled with cigarette butts.



I know a lot of people find it extremely difficult to quit, but if you're going to smoke - please at least put them in the trash. And please don't flick them out the window while driving!

What do you think of these bans being passed? I obviously am a fan of them; they will cut down on health care costs, stop unneccesary pollution, and protect innocent people. Do you think this is unconstitutional or correcting the previously unfair situation?