Who Will Win The 2008 Presidential Election?

Monday, October 15, 2007

Preaching out of Shame

A hidden camera caught a Vatican official saying that "he didn't feel he was sinning by having sex with gay men and asking his visitor if he liked him." He has been suspended from his post because their teachings do view it as a sin.


Another story to add:
A Mexican priest briefly was arrested after punching a policemen who caught him driving drunkenly through the streets of Monterrey and was about to tow away his vehicle.


Is it me or do many religious people have something to hide? Do they feel the need to preach the word of God to make up for their own shameful actions? There have been tons of priests caught molesting boys. You can't even feel safe sending your child to church? It seems like most kids from religious schools turn out the worst, too.

If there is a God, do these people think that by putting on these masks of greatness, it will cancel out their sins? This isn't calculus, I don't think God will say okay one charity act gets rid of this instance of sex with a prostitute.


Although, it would be nice to believe in an afterlife and eventual justice, I have become very doubtful of any 'God' existence. I have always said I try to do good because I know I have to answer to myself; I have to live with myself. There are always consequences to your actions. Why not think about those before you act, not just for fear of eternal flames but because you actually care about other human beings and creatures? Why wouldn't a priest worry about killing an innocent person while driving drunk... because he thinks everything happens for a reason, it is God's plan for him kill someone if he ends up killing someone? That is extemely selfish.


I'm not saying that religion automatically equals bad people, that is an ignorant statement, but what do you think the correlation is between studying religion very deeply and these lifestyles? Does hearing that they can't do things make them want to do it more - rather than if the issue was not constantly preached at them and pounded into their brains?